Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Reminiscing

At some point I will continue to work on this quilt. The one that was meant for mom. There are a few older blog posts about this project. When mom's health started to rapidly decline it took us (my siblings and myself) by surprise, it happened so fast, like a ride down a playground slide. My grandmother (mom's mother) lived for many years with Alzheimer's, even her late stages were quite long. We thought it was going to be the same with mom. Not so. Perhaps the fact that mom also had Lupus accelerated everything? Can't know for sure, but it is a possibility. Perhaps, all was clear all along and we were somewhat in denial? Maybe. What if the natural disaster that hit the area had to do with it? No matter how many questions we may ask, what we do know for sure is that the 'unexpected events befall us all'. - Ec 9:11.
For safety reasons only certain things approved by the caregiving facility were allowed in her room, handmade quilts weren't part of that approved list. Below is the last block I got to finished awhile back.
This coming November will be a year. Finishing it and using it will definitely keep many memories, happy and sad, alive daily. One of my sisters and my niece encouraged me to finish it, they were the ones that helped me stitched two of the blocks. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the rollercoaster trip of emotions that will come to mind once I continue working on it. A totally different mind set from the one I started with. Maybe I'll continue where I left in November.... or not. Just going to wait and see.
Hoping your day is going well!